Saturday, October 3, 2009

Life Alterations

Saturday and Sunday

The roller coaster that is now my life is starting to take a toll on me. It's not that I'm not sleeping at all, but if I wake up in the middle of the night I'm up for good. At the risk of sounding like I have acquired OCD, I have taken to cleaning in the wee hours of the morning. You can now eat off the shelves in my refrigerator and I descaled my coffeemaker at 4:30 AM the other day. The strange thing is that I wake up fully alert, but around 2PM I hit the wall and my brain turns to mush. I realized this as I was trying to make a phone call on my calculator, and then on my way home attempted to buy gas with my Home Depot card and stood there cursing at the pump for 5 minutes.

This seems a particularly cruel turn of events. The weekends are supposed to filled with late mornings, second or third cups of coffee and staying dressed in your PJ's and bunny slippers as long as you want. Now I'm scared that this will become my unofficial uniform. I wonder if all the things I used to consider creature comforts become jaded.

Here's a few things I'm afraid will come to pass:

  • I will never again eat at a restaurant that doesn't start with "Der" or "Mc."
  • Starbucks will become a only a distant memory as I am forced to drink...gulp...Yuban?
  • The frozen meals I used to take for lunch will now become dinner for two.
  • This year when I buy Halloween candy it will become dessert for a month.
While we're on the subject of lifestyle changes, how about the things that I used to think were "quirky" but now might become my new life essential:
  • Breakfast for dinner. Cholesterol be damned!
  • The samples at Costco. Should I bulk up and train for this? Are there scuffles around the carnitas lady?
  • The free hotdogs and hamburgers at that big RV lot down the freeway. How will I feel when they ask me if I want the "usual?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To hell with the bunny slippers -- join me in getting dirt under your fingernails. There's nothing as good for a garden as being laid off. Of course, once the garden's in shape it would be great to have a job to go back to! I keep looking -- my garden is almost ready -- but so far nothing fits. I applied to the job in that other department -- they had the nerve to make it the part-time one. Why couldn't the other one have been part-time and the one I wanted full-time? I suppose working part-time would allow me to pursue other happy pursuits the rest of the time, but it would be nice to have those shiny benefits that otherwise cost an arm and a leg.