Friday, October 2, 2009

Interview with the Devil

Friday, 18 days to go

I finally got called for an interview! My normal M.O. here would be to research the position and the company, practice my patter and rehearse a few answers . I begin to realize this isn't going to be as easy as it looks. The truth is, I have never been out of work in my life. In fact, within my family I have quite the reputation for gaining employment. On my first summer vacation in college I moved to a resort town to work. Within a few days, I managed to lose the job that had gotten me there in the first place. I cried, walked down the street and was working that afternoon in a burger joint that paid more. I was a legend.

It occurs to me that for the first time in my life I am looking for work when (a) I didn't plan on doing it, nor was it my idea, (b) I don't really want to leave my job and (c) I'm actually desperate. This is not a good combination for job seekers. Not to mention, my self esteem has taken quite a beating in the last two weeks.

I stay home the day of the interview so I can prepare myself (I am afforded as much job hunt related flex-time as I need). However, I spectacularly under estimate how nervous I'm going to get. This becomes quite evident as I sit in the waiting room sweating beads. Let me be more specific...it's over 100 degrees outside so it's more like a flop-sweat, I'm wearing a suit and the previous, 20-something-male interview before me comes out looking fresh as a daisy.

I swallow hard as I realize I'm in real trouble here. As I drive home it hits me hard that I really am leaving.

1 comment:

AJAB said...

I've found it difficult to apply any more. The only person who I want to work for is me.