Saturday, October 31, 2009

"But wait! There's more!"

Tuesday, 32 hours to go

So here's the deal; there was a program put in place just a few days ago that is supposed to stop new jobs from being posted if there are qualified people on the preferential rehire list. While this might sound redundant, it's pretty obvious from my previous posts that the "pref rehire" program is a dismal failure because of all the manipulation within departments. Now if a job becomes available, HR is supposed to intervene. You'll forgive if I don't do cartwheels down the hallways with enthusiasm. This is like having the Easter Bunny guard the shark tank at Sea World.

Apparently, we now have a fire sale on employees. When this particular department went to post their part time opening, HR sent over my resume for review. Please understand that this has nothing to do with my ego, but they took one look at my experience and said, "I'll take her!" This reminds me of the time I saw a designer suit, in my size for 80% off. Grab it, buy it, take it home, just don't ask questions. I have been reduced to a sale item, no pun intended. I, however, prefer to think of myself as a fabulous pair of Jimmy Choo's at half off, not a 3-pack of Jockey underwear at Kohl's. But I digress...

We strike a deal as I sit along the side of the road, although I have no idea how I am going to survive on half a paycheck. It is actually going to be more like 40% because it's half of a lower salary. I really don't like being rushed into making a decision like this. All I know is one of life's little ironies is that it's easier to find a job when you've got a job.

No comments: